Wednesday, April 13, 2011

It seems as though we're all doomed.

I can combine multiple ponderings into this post. I'm a little excited.

Alright. So recently my mythology class has taken a turn into the Meso-American mythology. This would be Aztec, Mayan, etc. As we all know; according to these cultures, our world is going to end on December 21, 2012. The means of this destruction is supposed to be some sort of "motion." Now, the general consensus is that this means we're going to be destroyed by an immense earthquake. Of course, most of the people in this age are skeptical about that. If they have the smallest inkling of a belief that the world is going to end, they probably think it's going to be something more like nuclear war, a meteor, zombies, global warming, etc. I doubt that many people think that the world is just going to quake to death.

Whether or not the world is going to end in 2012 has been among my topics of pondering. I personally don't believe that it will end, but I'm not going to dismiss the idea. There are definitely possibilities. I hold to the belief that nothing is impossible. I've never settled on how I think the world is going to end, or even what my favorite cause would be. I like the idea of a zombie apocalypse simply because that seems like it would be a pretty awesome scenario. It would suck pretty hard, yes, but I've always liked the idea of hacking into a zombie with a machete. Another one that I think would be pretty awesome would be something like The Day After Tomorrow. Freakish weather is always amazing in my opinion.

You may be wondering where I'm going with this and what the other ponderings are. I'm getting to that. I just opened up my daily facebook fortune cookie. It said, "Don't panic." I hope you've all got the idea now, but just in case; I'll explain. "Don't panic" is what's written on the cover of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. As the story begins, the Earth is demolished by an alien race in order to make room for an intergalactic highway. That's the short and sweet explanation. If you want a better one, read the books. You can find them by searching for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy of five.

It has been decided, by a highly respectable committee, that this fortune cookie is evidence that the cause of the Earth's destruction on December 21, 2012 will be demolition by aliens. This theory fits in well with the prediction that the world is going to be destroyed by "motion." What is demolition if not the "motion" of removing a structure?

This brings the idea of aliens into the equation. Do I believe in aliens? Do YOU believe in aliens? I hold to the idea that it is entirely possible that there are life forms on planets other than our own. The odds that life would pop up on a planet may be slim, but the universe is... Well... Let's just say that the universe if pretty damn big... If you think about it, 1 in a million is pretty small, but if you've got two million, then you're most likely going to have at least 2. The odds of there being life are at least 1 in something, and I'm willing to bet that the universe is large enough to have significantly more than 1 times that something. It's definitely possible for us to be demolished by an alien race in order to make room for their travels.

I realize that the quality of this post has probably gradually dropped, and that would be due to the fact that I'm tired. I apologize if it doesn't meet your standards, but I'm fairly new to public blogging, and have not yet found the right balance.

To sum things up:
1.) The world is going to end in 2012.
2.) People have different ideas about how, or even if, that will happen.
3.) I'm not sure what I think about it.
4.) Don't Panic.
5.) We're doomed to be part of a highway.
6.) I'm tired.
42.) Exactly.

Once again, thank you for your time.
Keep being awesome.
Ryan

2 comments:

  1. Dude. Your ideas on the possibility of an Alien Race existing? I give you the Drake Equation:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

    There are a lot of problems with it (such as not knowing how long a typical race might give out detectable signals), but it's a start. And it only considers the Milky Way! Really, it's an equation to determine the probability that we'll have the opportunity to FIND intelligent life, so considering other galaxies seems pretty out-of-the-question. But my point is: Badass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've come across that at some point, because when I was writing this I was contemplating using an equation I had seen once, but I didn't remember what it was called and was too lazy to care.
    That is pretty epic though, and makes my argument seem too small. I mean... A plausible 10, in the Milky Way alone, is a lot better than a possible multiple of one in the whole universe.

    ReplyDelete